Carlie’s Divorce Mottos
Posted by Carlie Berke, CDFA®
September 26, 2017
Words to live by when you are going through a divorce.
Carlie’s 12 Divorce Mottos:
1. “Keep as much money in your family as possible.”
2. “Think of the financial settlement in your divorce as a business transaction.”
3. “Fair is in the eyes of the beholder. It is a loaded word in divorce.”
“Minimize making decisions driven by emotion.”
4. “You do have a pre-nup, it is called California Family Law.”
5. “Focus on maximizing net dollars in your pocket by avoiding costly mistakes in divorce including ignoring impact of taxes, excessive legal fees, not managing emotions during the process.”
6. “There is a linear relationship between how long your divorce will take and how much it will cost you and your family both financially and emotionally.”
Divorce is like going to a foreign country where you do not know the laws and you don’t understand the language. Get up the learning curve.
7. “Don’t spend a dollar to save a dime.”
8. “Divorce is like going to a foreign country where you do not know the laws and you don’t understand the language. Get up the learning curve.”
9. “Minimize making decisions driven by emotion.”
10. “Emotion costs money.”
11. “Improve your financial IQ to be prepared to make settlement decisions and for life after divorce.”
12. “Use the right tool for the task during your divorce process. Professionals that may be part of your team include a family law attorney, therapist, CDFA®, tax CPA, divorce lending professional, real estate broker, business valuator, or forensic expert.”
Want new articles before they get published?
Subscribe to our Blog.
*Your information will be kept private and not shared with any 3rd party.
62% of divorced people do not have wills, compared to 42% overall who do not have a will.read more
Three important considerations related to the marital home and child tax credits in your divorce as a result of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA).read more
When it comes to divorce, the limitations on state and local tax deductions, including property taxes, may be an additional reason to consider selling the family residence.read more
Your Money Advocate
We envision a divorce process that allows you to keep your money in your family by developing affordable, common sense solutions that are compassionate, straightforward and transparent, resulting in empowered decision making.
Office Hours: M-F, 9am-5pm
Call Us: 858-342-7756